Sunday, January 25, 2015

Intution and Verification



I have sometimes felt that I have an inkling as to why a certain thing would happen.I could not or explain only after rethinking continuously as to why I had arrived at the decision.I had believed that intuition was mostly to be relied upon and trusted.I had inkling that India would lose the 2003 WorldCup.I had no notion of how or why I arrived at the decision.Maybe my intrinsic pessimistic nature might have been the reason but I had started to trust and fear intuition.Mostly they related to fatalistic accidents to persons I know or disastrous results in the endeavors I undertook.

I would not verify how many of them had turned out to be right.I would not record them and check for its outcomes.All I remembered were the ones that had come true.My certainty had been based on an assumption that I had not  troubled to verify.Looking back I am sure that some of it might have been proved wrong.The probability that it would have turned to be correct would have been at the max 50-60%.This would have allowed me to take intuition lighter and not with the dread which consumed me particularly when they predicted doom scenarios.


It had lead me on a digressive path to wonder how much what I believe were crosschecked with available data and verified.A guardian article particularly reminded of this point.Jose Mourinho was believed to have often won 1-0's that it became his perceived image.But the author (analytic Jonathan wilson I think ) reminded that it was not the case and the number of matches he had won in similar scores during his real madrid tenure were 3.

But then should I not trust my intuition ?.I have no answer but mostly I will.Though in the frame of mind that I am now writing I am hopeful that I can add a bit of caution and not trust it completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment